Friday, October 3, 2008

Cabbage Noodles (Halushki)

This is one of my most favorite comfort foods. It's basic - cabbage and noodles - but it takes me back to my childhood when my mum-mum and pap-pap would make this all the time and I'd eat 2 or 3 bowls! Okay - I admit it's presentation is lackluster. Heck, it may even be down right unappetizing to anyone with no experience with Hungarian and Polish foods. Like I said - this is a comfort food and yes, it's an ethnic food as well. Deal with it.


Cabbage Noodles
1 head of cabbage - chopped (core removed)
1 bag of egg noodles
1/2 stick of butter (the real thing!)
1/4 cup of Crisco (vegetable shortening) - it's comfort food, remember!
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large skillet, melt the vegetable shortening and add the chopped cabbage. Sautee on medium heat. Stirring occassionally to keep the cabbage moving and so it doesn't burn on the bottom.



You want the cabbage browned (see below). To be technical, you need to caramelize the cabbage to bring out the sweetness. It will probably take about 35-40 minutes of sauteeing and stirring to get it to this point. Do NOT cover with a lid at any time! You want the water to cook out and caramelize the sugars.



Now you want to boil the noodles. Once they're tender, drain and mix with the cabbage. I like to let it sit on very low heat so that the noodles have time to absorb some of the butter/shortening and the cabbage flavor. Salt and pepper to taste.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this dish! I like to make it with angelhair noodles.
I throw in onion and garlic and a bit of celery salt.

SO GOOD

Anonymous said...

I remember having this dish as a child at a neighbors house in the Polish 'hood. Simple and comforting. I tried with all butter on other occasions. And different noodles but something was missing. A friend said try the kluski noodle, a little better but not the answer. Then I found out, after reading this post, the cabbage was not cooked in butter. The cabbage was cooked with lard. Tried it and the same taste I remember! Thanks sparking my memory!

Anonymous said...

I had this as a child too and loved it but couldn't find my grandmother's recipe. Thanks for posting it. I guess generally only people of Polish descent are familiar with it but it's the best!

Anonymous said...

Thinking of my Grandma and Dad today I will be making this tonight!! Thanks for the sharing!!
Always a polish girl at heart!

Anonymous said...

" I guess generally only people of Polish descent are familiar with it..."

Not just Polish - Slovak, too!

Jana said...

thankyou thankyou! my husband has been talking about this and I have never had it, he loves your recipe! so glad we stumbled here!